Cassandra is moving to a monthly release process called Tick-Tock. Even-numbered releases (e.g. 3.2) contain new features; odd-numbered releases (e.g. 3.3) contain bug fixes only. If a critical bug is found, a patch will be released against the most recent bug fix release. Read more about tick-tock here.
Older supported releases
The following older Cassandra releases are still supported:
- Apache Cassandra 3.0 is supported until May 2017. The latest release is 3.0.9 (pgp, md5 and sha1), released on 2016-09-20.
- Apache Cassandra 2.2 is supported until November 2016. The latest release is 2.2.8 (pgp, md5 and sha1), released on 2016-09-28.
- Apache Cassandra 2.1 is supported until November 2016 with critical fixes only. The latest release is 2.1.16 (pgp, md5 and sha1), released on 2016-10-10.
Older (unsupported) versions of Cassandra are archived here.
The Apache Cassandra project also provide official Debian™ packages (which are not a product of Debian™). To use those packages, you can use:
deb http://www.apache.org/dist/cassandra/debian <release series> main deb-src http://www.apache.org/dist/cassandra/debian <release series> main
<release series> is the series you want to install:
- For tick-tock releases, the
<release series>is the release number, without dot, and with an appended
- For older pre-tick-tock releases, the
<release series>is the major version number, without dot, and with an appended
x. So currently it can one of
If after running apt-get update, you see an error message like:
GPG error: http://www.apache.org unstable Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 0353B12C
you will need to add the public key of the current Cassandra “release manager”, here
0353B12C. You can do that with:
<public key> is the key to add (
0353B12C in the example above). The list of Apache contributors public keys is
available at https://www.apache.org/dist/cassandra/KEYS.
Once set up, installing is done as usual with:
Some things to be aware of:
- The configuration files are located in
- Start-up options (heap size, etc) can be configured in
Third party distributions (not endorsed by Apache)
DataStax Distribution of Apache Cassandra is available in Linux rpm, deb, and tar packages, a Windows MSI installer, and a Mac OS X binary.
Development is done in the Apache Git repository. To check out a copy: